In a recent and critical announcement by the World Health Organization (WHO), a stark warning has been issued about the proliferation of counterfeit GLP-1 receptor agonist (RA) products. This comes amid a widespread shortage of these vital medications, which are essential for many individuals managing type 2 diabetes and living with obesity (BMI 30.0 and higher).
The WHO has highlighted the risks associated with fake GLP-1 RA products, which may lack effectiveness or even cause harmful reactions due to their unregulated and potentially unsafe production processes. These counterfeit medications, often found on unregulated online platforms and social media, pose a significant health risk.
Dangers of Falsified Products
Falsified medical products can lack efficacy or cause toxic reactions. They are not approved or controlled by competent authorities and may be produced in unhygienic conditions by unqualified personnel. These counterfeit versions may contain unknown impurities and be contaminated with bacteria, posing a serious health risk.
Recently, a BBC investigation exposed the perils of acquiring weight loss drugs from unregulated sources. A 32-year-old woman, faced a life-threatening situation after using an unlicensed version of semaglutide purchased on social media. This alarming incident serves as a stark reminder of the risks associated with unregulated drugs, which can lead to serious health complications. It underscores the critical importance of obtaining medications like GLP-1 RAs from trusted and safe sources such as our weight management programme.
How to Safely Receive GLP-1 Drugs in the UK
To safeguard your health, we strongly recommend obtaining your GLP-1 RA medications directly from trusted sources like from our eMed Weight Management Programme. Our expert clinicians, dieticians, and coaches are committed to tailoring a weight loss plan uniquely suited to your individual needs and challenges. This not only ensures that you receive genuine and effective treatment but also helps in preventing the dangers associated with counterfeit drugs.
In the UK, this global shortage has direct implications for medications like Wegovy, a GLP-1 RA product manufactured by Novo Nordisk. Our weight management programme managed by trusted clinicians provides secure access to Wegovy. We are committed to ensuring that our patients receive genuine and effective treatment, especially in these challenging times of global shortages.
We’ll also be launching Eli Lilly’s tirzepatide (marketed as Mounjaro) in the UK market soon. Mounjaro is also a diabetes drug that was authorised by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) to help obese and overweight adults lose and manage weight in November last year.
Our dedicated team is here to provide you with the necessary guidance and support for your weight loss management needs.
As a leader in digital healthcare in the UK, we stand at the forefront of providing safe and effective treatment options for our patients. In light of WHO’s warning and the ongoing global medicine shortage, we urge patients to rely on reputable sources like ours for their healthcare needs. For further information or to discuss your weight loss options, please contact us. We are here to guide you safely through your healthcare journey, ensuring access to genuine and effective medications.
- World Health Organization. (2024, January 29). Shortages impacting access to glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist products, increasing the potential for falsified versions. Retrieved from WHO News
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. (2023). Technology Appraisal Guidance [TA875]. Retrieved from NICE
- Government of the United Kingdom. (2023). MHRA authorises diabetes drug Mounjaro (tirzepatide) for weight management and weight loss. Retrieved from Gov.uk
- eMed. (2023). Weight Management. Retrieved from eMed
- BBC News. (2023, November 15). The risks of buying unregulated drugs on social media. Retrieved from BBC News
- Journal of Tropical Medicine and International Health. (2023). Article on GLP-1 RAs. Retrieved from Wiley Online Library
- UK Health Media Blog. (2023, September 4). Accessing Wegovy for Weight Loss: Everything You Need to Know. Retrieved from Health Media Blog